Fleeting Moments
There are so many fleeting moments to motherhood. There are things that you think you'll remember forever, but then don't. You can't. Things change so quickly. Little ones grow ridiculously fast. Newborns become infants who become babies who become toddlers who become little boys all within the first two years of life. It really is amazing.![]() |
| A little post-naptime (pre-haircut) reading. |
I know that these are not novel observations. Any parent will tell you this, and we were told this numerous times when we were expecting Henry. In fact, we are still reminded of this fact by the older and wiser ones around us. I can only imagine that it gets worse...that times flies by even more quickly as it continues on.
I feel like I was more aware of this fact early on in Henry's life. I mean, you can't fully understand it as it is happening, but I was at least aware of it. Maybe part of it was that I recognized how sleep-deprived I was and the low-capacity at which my brain was actually functioning. It was all I could do in the early weeks to remember when Henry last ate and to remember to feed myself. I practically burned down the house one day (ok, not really), because I left a pot on the stove of boiling water, sanitizing bottles, while we went on a walk around the neighborhood. We came back to smoldering plastic and a house filled with white smoke. I know I wrote some disjointed posts early on about things I didn't want to forget about Henry's first days. My blogging has slowed in Henry's second year, but I do still want to chronicle those little fleeting moments, and with babe #2 on the way, there is no doubt that documenting these things will be even more important, as my brain tries to wrap itself around two little amazing beings.
| Just hanging out with Fish Dog on the deck. |
All that to say, here are a few of my current favorite don't-ever-want-to-forget-them things about Henry:
- He is a chatterbox! I know I have been saying this for a while, but he talks all the time. Sometimes you understand it, sometimes you don't, but he always has something to say. He's putting 3 words together easily and loves identifying things, directing you, and ensuring that you are aware of what he's doing at all times. Everyone who encounters him comments on how verbal he is...a random man in the line at Zaxby's the other day turned around and said, "You sure can say a lot for such a little baby!" I think it is great. It is also hilarious. I love hearing his thoughts and getting a glimpse into what is going on in that mind of his.
- On that same topic, Henry is still a parrot. He will repeat anything you say - and he doesn't forget that you've said it either. His memory amazes me. For example, one morning on our way into church we ran into my co-worker and she had her new puppy with her. Every day since, as we've gotten out of the car, Henry has said, "Doggie? Doggie go home?" Even weeks later, he comments on the dog. And back to the parrot thing...you definitely have to watch what you say because he is going to repeat it back to you. Football season has become much more subdued around our house these days :).
- He pronounces all of his "L's" as "Y's" right now...so he says, "yight" instead of "light" and "heyyo" instead of "hello." I love it.
- In the past few weeks he has started to pretend, and I have seen glimpses of his imagination at work. He loves to high five his stuffed money or try to give him some milk. He also will talk on the "phone." His favorite person to call these days is Grammie.
- He is into trains (choo-choos) lately. I think this started with our trip to Disney World, but it has really grown. Seems like such a quintessential "boy" thing and it is precious.
- He really loves Fisher. He still calls her "Sher Dog," and his favorite thing to do it to get his cup of crackers and run around the house with it while she chases him. Fisher can't resist the temptation of Goldfish, and follows right along beside him, around and around. She never gets aggressive with him though, just follows him closely, hoping for the stray crumb (of which there are usually plenty).
| When did he get so big?! |
.jpeg)





Post a Comment