Catching Up - and Thoughts from Week 1

So despite my lack of publishing blog posts these past few weeks, I have been writing down my thoughts with the intention of getting them into posts.  Finally, I am getting around to it - until Henry decides to wake up.  I have to work fast!

We are home and at this point, Henry is just a few days shy of being a month old!  That is incredibly hard to believe.  I have definitely been in baby-land and continue to be there, but it is not bad.  It is amazing how quickly the days go by when they are broken up into 3-hour increments.  Henry is fantastic and we are getting used to having him around. Sleep is at a premium and doesn't happen terribly often, but I am getting better at napping when he naps.  At first I just couldn't do it.  I felt like I needed to watch him when he was sleeping - just to make sure he was still breathing/didn't spit up/I don't know what else, but he is so tiny it is hard to take your eyes off of him! I am slowly getting better though.  We still haven't made it to the bed and pack 'n play yet, but I do sleep on the couch while he sleeps in his swing.  It is my intention to make it to the bed soon.  Last night we made a little progress.  We'll see how tonight goes.  It just depends on his mood.  Some nights he is up for sleeping between his feedings and other nights he is wide awake.  I am just never quite sure which type of night we're going to have.

But let me start back at the beginning.  Here are some things I wrote after week 1:

One week - here's what we already know about you:
 
  • You came out crying. And as soon as your dad held you you sneezed on him!
  • You love to sleep with one arm across your chest tucked up under your chin and the other up by your face.

Always sleeping with your hands like this!

  • You are a fast learner.
  • You make little squeaking noises when you're sleeping and waking up.
  • Overall, you are a really happy babe...so far you are seldom fussy just for the sake of being fussy (fingers crossed that holds true!)  (Side note: Here at almost 4-weeks, I can attest that this hasn't held completely true...but we are thankful that it is not worse!)
  • You can eat! We're trying to go three hours between feedings but sometimes your appetite is voracious.
  • You still get the hiccups...a lot. When you were in my belly you got them almost once a day. Now you get them when you're eating a big meal. You don't give up though...you just keep right on nursing through them.
  • You like to sleep with your mouth open... You've done this since birth too!
Sleeping with your mouth open.

  • You don't really fuss but you do squeak! I've given you the nickname "squeakers" because of this. It is too funny.
  • Some days I think you'd prefer if I could feed you constantly...all day long. If we could just hook an IV up from my breast to your belly I think you might be satisfied!
Oh and one thing to note.  Remember how way back in the beginning I thought my due date was January 27 and after my first doctor's appointment they moved it to February 7?  Well, guess who was born on January 26?  Part of me definitely wonders if I might have had his due date right all along.  Guess it doesn't really matter, does it?  I am just glad he is here happy and healthy.  And I'm glad he didn't wait until February 7 to come!

Post a Comment