Fast and Furious - A Birth Story

Oh wow.  A lot has changed since that last blog post.  Mainly, this...




Henry Joseph Richardson
Born Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 8:40am
7lbs, 5oz, 21 inches long

I know, right?!  When I wrote that last post, I had no idea that in less than two days everything would change.  Henry decided Wednesday night that he was ready to make his debut...and 12 hours later, he was here.  It was absolutely perfect and I can't imagine things going any differently or any better.  Matt and I are in awe of this little guy and are slowly gaining our sea legs as we adjust to having him at home with us. 

So here's how it happened...

Wednesday, January 25 was an absolutely normal day.  When I left work Wednesday evening, we joked that maybe I'd have the baby that night, but more than likely I'd be back Thursday morning, as usual.  I even ran into one lady on my way out who didn't know I was pregnant.  She was amazed to learn that we were just 2 weeks from our due date, but I assured her that he was giving no indication of coming any time soon.  Little did any of us know what was to come... 

At home that night we cooked dinner as usual (we had steamed shrimp and leftover chicken wings - random, I know, but it was what we had...lol).  As I mentioned in the last post, I am still fighting a cold, so after dinner I went to take a shower and decided to lay down for a little bit just to get some rest.  Around 9pm, I noticed a slight gush of water, which caught my attention.  I got up and checked it out, but it was by no means a "huge" gush of water, so I didn't really think that my water had broken.  A few minutes later, it happened again.  Looking back, I am pretty sure that was my water breaking, but it wasn't dramatic and it was so slight that I really didn't realize it at that time.  After that I began to notice that I was losing my mucous plug.  I wasn't 100% sure this was what was happening, but after some online research, I was pretty certain.  I still had no idea that I was really about to go into labor.  These things can happen days or even weeks before actual labor begins, and I had had no other indications up to this point, so I was really trying not to get too excited. 

As we went to bed that night around 11pm, I mentioned to Matt what was happening, but told him that I'd probably just call the doctor in the morning to make sure all my thinking was correct and not to worry about anything because it probably wouldn't amount to much tonight.

Boy was I wrong.

By about midnight, I realized that I was having contractions...and they were regular...about 8 minutes apart.  I was lying in bed, watching the clock and looking up information on "what contractions feel like" on my phone.  Thank goodness for handy iPhones which provide the entire Internet at your fingertips.  I was able to confirm that I was definitely feeling contractions all while laying in bed and without waking Matt.  I still wasn't convinced that this was the real thing.  The contractions continued and finally around 1:30pm, I woke up Matt and told him that I was going to take a shower.  I knew it was random, but I wanted to wash and blow dry my hair and be clean, just in case we did end up at the hospital that night.  The contractions were still very manageable and I was able to shower and dry my hair as I hoped.  I did have to stop in the middle of drying my hair a few times because the contractions were increasing in intensity, but I managed. 

I realized that I couldn't get back into bed with Matt.  Things were intensifying and I wanted him to be able to sleep as long as possible.  I knew I could not sit still through the contractions but I still wasn't convinced that I was going to the hospital that night.  It was my plan to try and make it to the morning and call my doctor's office at 8:30am when they opened.  I moved into the guest bedroom and tried to relax.  Using a contraction timer app that I had downloaded to my phone, I realized that they were now coming 3 minutes apart.  I knew that I was supposed to call the doctor when they were 5-10 minutes apart, so after a few completely unbearable contractions that made me feel like I was going to vomit, I decided to call the doctor.  After all, I wouldn't be the first new-mom to needlessly wake a doctor up in the middle of the night thinking I was in labor when I really wasn't, right?  It was about 3:30am now.  The doctor told me that since the contractions were about 3 minutes apart, we should go ahead and come into the hospital.  I knew I had to really wake up Matt now and let him know that this was happening!

Luckily, I had mostly packed our hospital bag, so I woke up Matt, told him what was going on, and as he showered, I added the last few things to the bag, stopping to get through the contractions and then we headed out the door.  The pain was definitely increasing at this point.  I was not terribly happy and could do little more than just concentrate on getting through each contraction.  Luckily, they were still about 3 minutes apart, so I could rest in-between them.  That is the only thing that made it bearable.

It was around 4am when we arrived at the hospital.  Luckily, it was pretty deserted, so we were able to park right in front and headed up to the labor and delivery floor.  I was thankful for our classes and tour of the hospital because we knew exactly where we were going.  At this point, I was having to pause to get through the contractions, but Matt was awesome and completely calm, letting me do what I needed to do as we made our way to the check-in. 

I had pre-registered, but we still had to check-in and sign some paperwork once we got there.  It felt like forever, and I was trying to listen to all that the lady was telling me and sign my name all the while going through the contractions.  Luckily, Matt was much more lucid than me.  Once we were done, they took me back to triage to get things started and see where we stood.  Things were really really hurting now and all I could do was close my eyes, breathe and moan through each contraction.  I got in, changed into the lovely hospital gown and they finally got me hooked up to the baby heart monitor and contraction monitor.  They also started an IV.  The babe's heart rate was great.  Matt said that it would rise with each contraction, which is to be expected, but all I can really remember is hearing that sound and knowing it meant he was ok.  The nurse confirmed that the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and she let me know that she was going to check me to see how much I had dilated.  I was so afraid she was going to tell me I was only 2-3 centimeters.  Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if she had.  The pain was so bad at that point and I couldn't imagine it only being the beginning.  It was the best feeling to hear her tell me that I was actually already at 6cm!  I was proud of myself and my body for laboring at home until 6cm, and I was also amazed that things had progressed so quickly.  It was only around 4:40am at this point.   The nurse also asked if I wanted the epidural.  I completely respect and admire women who decide to forgo all pain medication during labor, but I knew that I was not one of those women...and I was completely convinced at this point that I did indeed want the epidural.  Emphatically, I told the nurse "yes" and she began my first bag of fluids right there in triage.  I needed to be able to be present and focus on the babe and all that was going on.  Right now, the pain was so intense that I wasn't even opening my eyes at all...I was just trying to focus on getting through each contraction.  I wanted to be mentally present for the babe's birth. 

We were finally moved to a labor and delivery room.  It was still a while before I was able to get the epidural, and the contractions were coming 1-minute apart.  There was no down time between them now...just constant pain.  I was progressing to 7-8 centimeters, which was encouraging, but I was also praying that the epidural would come soon!  Matt was the picture of calm through all of this.  While we were in triage, he called my parents to let them know that we were in labor and that the babe was coming tonight.  They got up and hit the road so that they could be here for the big event.  He also called his parents and let them know.  I was so thankful for his calm and support through it all. 

Finally....FINALLY...I was ready for the epidural.  They made Matt leave the room for the actual procedure, and I had to sit up on the bed, turned to the side and stay still while he put the needle in my back.  It is not an easy thing to sit still through several contractions that were coming back-to-back while he did it, but I knew the reward would be worth it.  Also, I had a great nurse and she helped me a lot.  They told me that it would probably take 20 minutes to kick in, but I felt relief almost immediately.  It was magical. 

When Matt came back in, I was laying in the bed, smiling and could actually carry on a conversation with him and the nurse.  It was so much better for me to be able to be "present."  I loved hearing the babe's heartbeat and I think for the first time, I actually looked at Matt and said, "oh my gosh, we're having a baby!"  Instantly, I was back in the game and able to think about the miracle that was before us.

The nurse told me that when I felt pressure to let her know and that we'd begin pushing.  It took a little while and the shift change at 7am happened, so we actually got a new nurse.  She was great as well.  She had a nursing student shadowing her that day and she asked if I would mind if she was in there for the delivery.  I told her that I did not mind, and it turned out to be a great thing to have both of them.  They were so sweet and knowledgeable and made us feel completely comfortable.  The doctor came in and checked on us, then said he'd be back when the head crowned.  I had no idea that the nurses actually do most of the work and that the doctor really just comes in at the end (assuming there are no problems), but because everything was going along exactly as it should, it was completely fine.  The doctor did mention that the average pushing time with epidural births was around 2 hours, which surprised me, but I was glad he mentioned it so that I knew what we might be in for. 

Finally, it was time to push!  Even though I had the epidural, I could still feel the pressure, so I had an idea of what was going on, which was nice.  Pushing was a lot more tiring than I anticipated, but it was such a calm atmosphere with Matt and the two nurses, that I was able to just focus on the babe and doing what I needed to do.  The babe did great the whole time - a total champ.  The doctor came in and right at 8:40am, just 4 hours after we'd checked-in to the hospital, Henry made his debut.  He came out crying, Matt cut the cord, and the doctor announced that he was perfect, except for a bit of a cone head from all the pushing.  It was such an incredible feeling.  I was so amazed that he was here and that we had birthed a baby and that all the waiting was over! 

Matt got to see them clean Henry up and says that one of his favorite moments was when Henry, fresh out the womb, opened his big blue eyes and just stared at him, wide-eyed.  It was all so surreal that he was actually ours. 

Henry has dirty-blonde hair and deep blue eyes.  I know all that might change, but he is absolutely perfect, regardless.  My parents were able to make it to the hospital in time and along with Matt's parents they got to come in and see us not too long after Henry was born.  He did so great, and was happily passed among everyone as we all stared amazed at this new little life who had come so fast and furiously into our world. 


Mom and Barbara meeting Henry for the first time!


Hello, grandma!


Meeting your grandfather!

With your dad and other grandfather!

I think Matt and I were just in awe of the whole experience and our new little guy.  It happened so quickly, yet so calmly and was everything and more that we hoped it would be.  We went to bed Wednesday night as just Matt and Kim and by 8:40am Thursday, we had Henry in our arms and were learning to be responsible for this new little life. 

It is all a miracle and a blessing and such an incredible gift from God.  We couldn't be happier and as we are slowly gaining our sea legs with having a newborn at home, I am just so, so thankful for everything.  I couldn't have written a better, more perfect way for Henry to join our world and family. It was perfectly ordained and we wouldn't have it any other way. 

The love and support abounds in almost an overwhelming way, as it has all throughout this entire journey, and I can't wait for our little guy to get to know all these people who love him so much already. 

Holy cow.  We had a baby!

Post a Comment