1) GIGGLES: So as I mentioned, Henry is laughing more and more these days. It really is my favorite sound in the world. He is starting to enjoy playing little games like peek-a-boo - you can really see him anticipating the "reveal." Then he giggles like crazy. Also, Matt started playing a game with him dubbed "tickle birds" where he wiggles his fingers above Henry and then slowly "flies" them in to "attack" (aka tickle) Henry's tummy. Henry loves it. He watches Matt's fingers so intently and he waves his arms and legs as the "birds" are flying in; then he laughs and laughs once Matt actually tickles him. It is the sweetest thing. I really love seeing those two together.
 |
| Best friends. |
2) RASPBERRIES: Henry has also learned to blow raspberries. I have no idea where he learned to do it, but he'll be playing by himself somewhere and I'll hear him blowing little bubbles with his mouth. He'll do it for the whole time he is playing. It's pretty funny.
 |
| Playing in my room. |
3) NICKNAMES: Honestly, I get a little embarrassed just thinking about sharing these because they are pretty ridiculous, but I want to remember them 10 years from now, so here they are. And here's hoping Henry doesn't kill me when he is a teenager and someone mentions this post.
- Snuggle bug (aka: snugs, snuggle buggle, snugs bugs and basically any other variation I come up with on any given day): This is my nickname for him lately. I don't remember exactly when I started calling him that but he is so snugly, especially when he sleeps, and I just can't help myself. I probably call him this more often than I call him Henry.
- MegaMan! (said with an exclamation point always, because you have to say it like you're announcing a super hero): This is Matt's nickname for him. Apparently, there is an old video game called MegaMan...it is one of the really old games that has very basic graphics (think old-school Donkey Kong), and Matt thinks that Henry looks like the main character, MegaMan. He calls him this all the time...sometimes I worry that Henry might think his name is actually MegaMan! Seriously, he seems to respond to it more often than he does to his real name.
 |
What'd you call me?!
|
4) QUIRKS:
- Henry sometimes sleeps with is eyes half-open. It is creepy, but apparently I do this too.
- Lately, while drinking his bottle, Henry has started taking his left hand and putting it on his forehead/left eye. He's not rubbing his eye so much as just looking dramatic, like Scarlet O'Hara reminding herself to "think of it another day."
 |
| Case in point. |
- He's started to be very weary of car rides. I noticed it at Easter when we were driving back from the beach. He started to cry until I got in the backseat with him. Once I was sitting back there, he was fine. He did the same thing on our way home from the CF Walk. I don't want my babe crying the whole way home, but I also don't want to forever have to sit in the backseat with him either! And if it is just me and him, I can't! For example, when I pick him up from preschool he's always really happy. Usually, we stick around for a few minutes and he plays with everyone in the office. Then I load him into his car seat and we're out the door. As soon as we pull out of the church parking lot he starts to cry and will do so the entire way home. Once I pull into our garage he is instantly quiet...like magic. I know he's not hungry or hurting and he doesn't have a dirty diaper...I think he just gets mad being in the car seat by himself. It's kind of funny, but it also tears your nerves up a bit. Thankfully, our ride home from work isn't very long. Here's hoping this is just a phase!
- And this isn't really a quirk, but just for posterity's sake...we've started experimenting with rice cereal and baby oatmeal. They say you can start them on solid foods anytime between 4-6 months. A lot of my friends waited until 6 months, but Henry's closing in on 5, so I figured we could just try it a few times and see how it goes. The first time was a total failure. He had no idea what I was doing or why I was trying to put the spoon in his mouth. The second time he let me put the spoon in his mouth, but he spit it back out. The third time, we tried oatmeal instead of rice cereal (I was thinking it may taste a little better and the consistency is the exact same)...he'd actually open his mouth for me when I brought the spoon up, but he still spit out most of the food. I figure we'll just keep trying. It is not vital that he start eating solids yet, and he has improved a little each time. Honestly, I think that once he figures out that it is food that I am trying to give him, he'll be all over it. That boy still loves to eat!
Post a Comment