Big Boy Bed
So, I knew it would happen eventually, I just wasn't prepared for it to happen yet. Monday of last week, I was getting ready for work (I always get ready before I get Henry out of his crib), when I heard a door open and then Henry was standing in our room saying, "I'm all done, mommy!" He was so happy and proud of himself. I was in shock. It took me a minute to figure out what had just happened. Clearly, he had climbed out of his crib. He's never even attempted this before, so that is a big reason why I was so shocked! A few months ago, he started taking off his sleep sack when he woke up. The first few times he did that, I just knew that climbing out of his bed would come soon, but it didn't, so I let my guard down and forgot my worry.We didn't actually see how he climbed out that morning, but he did have a small scrape on the top of his foot. I am just glad he didn't fall and hurt (or break!) anything. I thought we might be in for it, but I was really hoping it was a one time thing...
...Alas, it was not. Monday afternoon we got home from work/school and I put him in his bed to nap...within seconds he was taking off his sleep sack, throwing his leg over the end of his crib and hoisting himself out of there. We made a deal to watch one episode of Mickey and then he would take his nap (a deal with a 2-year-old...I know...but I was desperate!). When Mickey was over, we went back upstairs, but again, within just a few seconds (before I could even really get out of the room) he was out. I knew there was no turning back. The crib was no more. All that constraint and peace that it provided us, knowing he was safely in his bed and not getting into trouble, was gone.
Luckily, his crib converts to a toddler bed, so I gave up on nap time and proceeded to take the front rail off of his bed. Matt stopped by Target on the way home and bought a bed rail, and by bedtime that night, Henry had a "big boy bed' that he could climb in and out of, but that otherwise wasn't all that different from his crib. I did my best to make sure that his room was as safe as possible. I knew he would get out of bed and get into everything, so I had to make sure everything "dangerous" was put away...way away...Henry has really long arms and legs! We also bought a thing that goes on his doorknob so that he could not turn it and open the door anymore. I am sure that is against some parenting law somewhere, but we knew that if he could get out of his room, we'd just spend all night with him opening the door and wanting to hang out. Henry is very persistent.
We talked and talked about his "big boy bed" all afternoon, and he played in it. I was not very hopeful for the night though. I knew it was going to be horrible. And it was...at first. He screamed and cried for a good 45 minutes. We went up there once, but with Henry, you really have to let him work it out. Eventually, he climbed into his bed and went to sleep. He slept fine all night (much to my surprise!) and actually played around in his room that next morning when he woke up. We have a video monitor, so I can see him, which is nice. Nap that afternoon was terrible again - he screamed for another 45 minutes, but he eventually climbed into bed and fell asleep. The boy needs his sleep. He still takes a 2-3 hour nap every afternoon and goes to bed just after 7pm. I was impressed that he actually climbed into bed each time. He definitely gets that from Matt, who really doesn't like to sleep anywhere else but in a comfy bed.
Each day got a little bit better. He still cries some when you're getting ready for bed, but lately he hasn't even been climbing out before he falls asleep. I thought he'd just play and play and play in his room once he had that freedom, but he really only plays when he wakes up. And then he mostly just sits and reads his books or plays with his music toys. It is really sweet to hear him, and I love walking into his room and finding him sitting on the floor with a book on his lap. I think the thing on the doorknob has been a big key to his success. Once he realized he couldn't get out (he's very social), he began to understand that this was his time to rest. I always tell him that he doesn't have to sleep, but he does have to have some quiet time, but like I said, Henry needs his sleep and thankfully falls asleep pretty well.
Overall, things have gone relatively well in this whole process, minus the first few days of 45 minute screaming fits. I was not mentally prepared to be here with him yet - I thought our next big adventure would be potty training, but he had other plans. It will be interesting when we go to the beach this summer to see where/how he sleeps, but I know that's all part of growing up and it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just like everything, we're learning as we go and trying to do what works best for our family. Here's to the next adventure, whatever that may be!
| Sweet sleeper in the big boy bed. |





Post a Comment