Picking Strawberries

I grew up in the Piedmont, so this wasn't something we ever did, but around here there are lots of strawberry farms within close driving distance and everyone goes strawberry picking.  Matt's roommate from law school actually grew up on a strawberry farm and his dad still runs it.  Each year they kick off strawberry season with "the world's shortest parade," which is basically local fire trucks, tractors, people walking their dogs, etc., driving less than .5 mile down the road in front of the farm.  They have snow cones and balloons and really it is nothing big, but it is a lot of fun and perfect for a 2-year-old, so we decided to take Henry this year. 

This was my first time picking strawberries, but it is super easy and a lot of fun.  Plus, the berries just don't even compare to the ones you get at the store.  They were so delicious!  Henry had a great time "helping" Matt pick strawberries, and James and I walked around taking in the sites.  The parade was sweet and Henry enjoyed waving his pinwheel and watching the firetrucks roll by.  All-in-all it was a perfect Saturday morning and I hope we can make it again next year!

James got in on the action too!

A free giant pinwheel?  Yes, please!

The parade.

Watching the parade. 

Picking strawberries.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...I don't know if it is from watching Mickey or what, but Henry had it in his head that every parade has a marching band, so he kept asking where the marching band was.  Luckily, there was a lady playing an accordion and that seemed to satisfy him!

Post a Comment