Bald Head Island

On a whim last weekend, we decided to go to Bald Head.  No one was using the house, the weather report was excellent, and we hadn't been in a while (in fact, Henry's been 3 times - including this trip -  since he's been born).  Things were a little hectic packing and trying to get everything together at the last minute, but once we got there it was more than worth it.  Matt and I realized that this was actually the first time we've taken a trip with just the three of us - with no helpful grandparents, aunts or uncles around.  We are always extremely thankful for time spent with family, but it was nice to have a weekend with just us.  Bald Head is always gorgeous, no matter the season, but this weekend it was particularly beautiful.  We could not have ordered more perfect weather, especially for November.

Henry is an excellent baby, however he is not a terrific car rider just yet.  I honestly think he gets bored.  He has to ride facing the back seat, so there's not much to see, and he's all by himself back there.  I mean, I get bored on long car rides...of course he does too!  Once we got to the ferry landing and he was able to get out of his seat and into the stroller, he was fine.  It was pretty chilly Friday night when we arrived, so I had him all bundled up.  Isn't he a cute little Eskimo?

So happy to be out of the car!
There was a little snafu with the downstairs heat in the house on Friday, so Henry ended up sleeping upstairs in the middle of the den that night.  The beauty of Pack 'n Plays is that it doesn't matter where you put them though.  He didn't know the difference and slept soundly (and warmly!). 

I really can say that now, at 9 months, we have a routine.  A good solid routine - with naps and everything!  It took us a while to get there, but we are there.  Henry was up and at 'em around 7:30am.  We had breakfast and he tried out his new seat I'd bought him for the beach house...

Works perfectly!
It was great.  We played and then around 9:30am he usually takes a nap, so I put him back down and he slept for two hours.  It was great. 

That afternoon, Matt wanted to fish on the beach, so we packed up and headed down the island.  There are only golf carts on Bald Head, so it makes things a little interesting with a baby, but we managed.  We switched Henry to a "big boy" car seat last week, but we still brought his infant seat on the island.  We can actually buckle it on the golf cart - which makes for safer riding.  You get a lot of strange looks from people though because it just isn't something you see a lot on the island. I also had a blanket over him while he was buckled in, so you couldn't see the seat belt that was holding him, and I got a lot of judgemental looks from people - I think they seriously thought I had just balanced the car seat on the back of the golf cart - ummm..no...I am not that irresponsible...or crazy.  Promise.

See his seat?
However, once he really won't fit in that infant seat, I am not entirely sure what we'll do.  His new car seat is HUGE, and I'm not sure it'll fit on the little backseat of the golf cart.  We'll worry about that when we have to though.  Anyways, Henry actually fell asleep on the way down the island, so (again, love that infant carrier for its convenience) I just carried him down to the beach in it and let him nap al fresco.

Not such a bad place to take a nap!
It was an absolutely gorgeous afternoon.  Matt fished, and once Henry woke up, we played on the sand.  He loved it.  The fishing was successful, the baby was happy and it was peaceful and serene.  Truly a perfect afternoon. 

Napping while Dad fishes.

Just waking up - ready to play!
We had a wonderful time.  It was hard to leave on Sunday (as it always is), but alas, work was calling Monday morning, so we had to go.  I love taking Henry to the beach though. I  know he will have many adventures there in the future and we can't wait to share them with him! 

Post a Comment