Shots Are No Fun
We had our two month check-up at the doctor on Tuesday. Henry's actually 10 weeks old now so we're off just a little bit, but here are his stats:Weight - 11lbs, 7oz
Height - Ok, so the nurse totally messed up his measurement - even the doctor noticed - so I measured him again when we got home and the unofficial length is 26.5 inches
Overall, he's doing great. He remains long and lean, but he's gaining weight steadily and growing like a weed, so no worries. The only problem this time was that he had to get his first round of major vaccinations. He had to get one shot last time for Hepatitis B, but this time he had to get two shots and one oral vaccination. The shots each combined several vaccinations, so overall he was vaccinated for 7 different things. Poor little guy. That is a lot for his little body to handle. His whole body tensed up and his face turned bright red when she stuck him the first time (in his thigh). I knew the screams were coming. By the time she got to the second thigh, he let loose with the wails. No one likes getting shots, but luckily, he won't remember these. I was able to get him calmed down and he went to sleep for a little while once he got back in his car seat.
They warned me to go ahead and get some Tylenol though and the nurse mentioned that he might be fussy, run a low-grade fever or overall just be a little bit "off" for a few days. I had heard this from several friends as well, but I wasn't really prepared for what was to come. My usually happy babe has turned into a very fussy, upset little guy these past few days. I can just tell that he doesn't feel good. He'll be ok for a little bit, but then he gets so upset. Nothing will console him, not even the pacifier. We've danced, sung, changed his diaper, fed him, given him gripe water (which he loves and usually calms him down immediately), rocked, walked around, etc. etc, but poor thing is just upset. I've given him Tylenol twice and it definitely helps. If he can get calmed down, he falls asleep. Like I said, you can just tell that he doesn't feel great. His poor little body is trying to process all those vaccinations. I am hoping that he'll be better tomorrow. He does pretty well for a little while, and I start to think he's getting back to his normal happy self, but then he gets so upset. Everyone has says this is to be expected, so I am not really worried. It just makes me sad for him. I am very thankful for his sweet demeanor and will be happy when it returns. Unfortunately, he has to get all of those shots again at his 4-month check-up. Hopefully since he'll be a little bigger then, he'll be able to handle things a little better.
In other news, he's still sleeping great at night (don't want to jinx myself though!). This week he's also started rubbing his eyes when he gets tired. It is so sweet and makes me feel like he is getting so big. Just that simple little movement makes him look more like a little boy and less like an infant. Also, it is funny to watch him wake up in the mornings because he stretches just like I do. Elbows first, then straighten your arms...then stretch out your legs as straight as you can get them. He even arches his back a little when he stretches with his elbows and arms. It is so very cute.
Carolyn came to visit us this week. Unfortunately, she was here to witness the aftermath of the shots, but he still gave her some sweet moments and showed off his big grin a few times. We had a great time together, as always. It has hard to believe we've been friends 15 years now. I can only hope Henry finds some great friends like that in his life.
| Hanging out with Henry! |
| So happy! |





Post a Comment