A Birth Story: More fast and more furious than the first
So I literally started typing this note in my phone as I was sitting in the hospital bed on November 27, 2013, being induced. Again, this is definitely not going to be my best writing, but at least it is here. I love looking back at Henry's and want to remember James' as well.Noticed some leakage after my 37 week drs appt on 11/26/2013. Wasn't sure if it was my water breaking or not. No other signs of labor. Decided Wednesday morning to call the drs office just to be safe since it was a 4 day weekend (Thanksgiving). Took Henry to Barbara's (she was already planning to keep him) and headed to work. Got a few things done before the dr called and said to come in and get checked. It wasn't immediately clear to him that my water had broken, but after several tests/checks and an ultrasound he said it was definitely leaking....probably a small tear. Sent me straight to the hospital for induction. Told me not even to go home. Luckily, I had packed my suitcase yesterday when I was suspicious that something might be happening. I also managed to do two loads of laundry and vacuum the whole house. I called Matt, told him what was going on, met up with him to pass off the car seat, and then headed to the hospital. (Side note...that isn't entirely true. I also made a pit-stop at Walgreens. In my hormonal, pregnant, oh-my-gosh-we're-having-a-baby-today state, I thought it was important to make sure I had some makeup for the hospital. That was the one thing I hadn't packed in advance and I knew Matt wouldn't think about it, so I went to Walgreens and bought some Covergirl powder, blush and mascara. I felt like I was back in middle school. I have no idea why that felt like such a priority at the time, but it totally was!) It was so weird driving myself here and walking in. I was not having any labor pains, so it was like I was just another person. Only I wasn't. I had to wait to check in, and again, I was glad I wasn't in active labor. It was almost surreal...and just so weird to be doing it alone and so calmly. They got me checked in and back to a room. Matt showed up soon after, and now they've started pictocin. I am starting to feel the contractions. They are uncomfortable, but bearable. It's 2:18pm. We'll see how it goes.
Well, It went....fast. They kicked the pictocin up every 15 min and soon I was feeling the contractions. The dr requested that I be at least 3 cm before I get the epidural. When they finally checked me, I was at 4, so they called him in. It took a while (so it seemed) for him to get there, but it was around 3 pm when he came in. I was definitely hurting. They kicked Matt out, did the epidural, but before it even had time to fully kick in the dr came in and I was at 8 cm. Matt heard them calling for a prep team in my room before he even made it back from the waiting room!
I could definitely still feel things, although they were dulled. That scared me, but what can you do? The doctor told me to push and 2 contractions and 5-6 pushes later he was here! It was right at 4pm! Pretty crazy. I was in a daze, it happened so fast. But he was good - tangled up in the cord, but fine. And the cord had a weird cyst/false knot in it, but it had no bearing on James. He came out and started crying and all was well. It was so so fast. Dr. Jones delivered him. My right leg never even got numb from the epidural and I only pushed for maybe 5 minutes. So different from Henry-and I thought he was fast!
He's here and he's perfect. He's done awesome so far-barely even crying. He eats and sleeps. He's almost 24 hrs old now and I'm still not sure I've really seen both his eyes open at the same time. He looks a lot like Henry did as a newborn except he has a head full of dark brown hair. He has so much hair he even has sideburns!:) he sleeps just like Henry did with one hand by his face and the other crossed over his chest. We are still a little shocked that he's here, but in love and very thankful for our day-before-thanksgiving baby.
![]() |
| Thankful for this little blessing, James Matthew Richardson, born Wednesday, November 27 at 4pm; 7lbs, 5oz! |






Post a Comment