The BUG

So as a welcome back to work present, the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad stomach bug decided to invade our family.  Henry had gotten sick on Sunday, but we thought he had just eaten something that didn't agree with him.  He perked back up and seemed ok enough to go to school on Monday.  Monday night, James started with it. All of a sudden, he couldn't keep his bottles down.  He'd eat an ounce and then immediately throw it all back up.  It was very different from his usually spit up.   I began to get worried when he wasn't eating, but wasn't acting hungry either.  James really, really likes to eat....maybe even more than Henry did.  When it had been almost 12 hours and he hadn't had a wet diaper, I really began to get worried.  I know how to keep a toddler hydrated...I can tell what he is drinking/eating, etc, but since James only gets formula, I didn't have any idea what else (if anything) I could give him to help him stay hydrated.  Needless to say, we took a trip to the doctor on Tuesday morning.  Turns out, you can give an infant clear Pedialyte.  The pediatrician recommended that I try to give him an ounce every 20-30 minutes and work up from there.  James drank only Pedialyte that whole day.  And we stayed home from work/preschool Tuesday.  Thankfully, it seemed to  be a 24-hour thing, and Henry was happy to go back to preschool on Wednesday.  James probably could have gone, but I wanted him with me another day, so he hung out in my office all morning.  He was awesome.  He slept and played and really didn't cause any trouble.  I went thinking that I'd just stay as long as he was doing ok, and we ended up making it the whole day. 
I actually have this same picture of Henry hanging out under my desk...only I think Henry was a little older.  Sweet baby. 

Just when I thought we were getting well, Matt woke up with it.  He had it the worst of anyone and spent the rest of the week home from work.  It was awful.  I bleached everything I could in the house, trying to get rid of the germs.  Somehow I managed to avoid it, thankfully.  I don't know that we could've survived it both Matt and I had it.  Obviously, we would have, but it would not have been fun. 

I am just glad that everyone is ok now and it is behind us.  I think James is making up for all his missed meals because this week he has been demanding to eat every three hours. Being sick also messed up the little bit of progress we were making at night.  He's back to waking up at 4am to eat and then he's ready to eat again by 7am.  I am trying to push him to wait a little longer, but like I said, this week, he has been desperate to eat.  According to the pediatrician's visit, he weighs 15lbs now! 

Here's hoping everyone will stay well from here on out.  I am so ready for spring and fresh air!

Post a Comment